Are Pigs Ears Safe For Dogs? A Healthy Alternative To Rawhide
Are Pigs Ears Safe For Dogs?
In recent years, there has been increased awareness in the importance of making the right food choices for your dog. Once upon a time, rawhide was considered a low fat, long treat perfect for keeping your dog occupied. Now though, the negative aspects of it are widely publicised and as a result, it is better to find more suitable long chews for your dog to enjoy.
A very good alternative to nasty rawhide, is a pig’s ear. Pigs ears are made up of cartilage making them a chewy and tasty treat. They are suitable for both large and smaller breed dogs.
Pigs ears are high in fat so should be avoided for dogs with sensitive stomachs or those on the, ahem, chunkier side of life (we'd recommend lower fat Cow's Ears).
- Good for dental health. The chewing action that eating a pig’s ear naturally encourages, is great for loosening plaque, cleaning your dog’s teeth and maintaining fresh breath.
- Suitable for dogs with allergies – our pig’s ears in particular, have nothing added to them, so are perfect for dogs who are on an additive free or a single protein diet.
- High in essential vitamins including Iron and Omega 3 which help to support healthy bone and brain development.
- High in protein. This is particularly important for keeping muscles strong and also vital in the role of forming new skin and hair cells.
- Naturally gluten and grain free.
- Flavoursome. The taste does not disappear after being chewed or sucked for a long time.
Why are Dragonfly’s Pigs Ears extra special?
- They are large, whole ears
- We hand sort and pack our pigs’ ears
- They come in resealable bags so will stay fresh for months if stored correctly
- Naturally air-dried. Not roasted, smoked or fried
- Low odour and grease compared to other brands
As with any new addition to your dog’s diet, introduce pig’s ears gradually to avoid your dog getting an upset tummy. Pigs ears are a complementary addition to your dog’s diet and should not be fed on their own but as part of a balanced diet.
Laura, Dolly & Reggie x