Toxic foods your dog should never eat and common household dog poisons.

Toxic foods your dog should never eat and common household dog poisons.

As dog parents, all we want to do is keep our fur babies safe, but their curious nature can sometimes get them into trouble. We may assume they can eat the same food as us, and we may want to ‘treat’ them, especially when their big eyes are looking longingly as we tuck into our dinner. Or, more commonly, your pup may accidentally eat something they have found within reach – they do investigate the world through their mouth after all.

Why can’t dogs eat the same food as humans?

Well, firstly they are much smaller than us and therefore have a very different metabolism. This means they cannot process human food in the same way in which we can. They also don’t know when to stop eating! Whilst some food items might be ok in smaller quantities, larger amounts may be fatal.

Food poisoning is just as debilitating to dogs as it is to humans. Whilst dogs can recover from the odd bout of a dodgy tummy, it is important to seek help from your vet if you suspect acute food poisoning. Signs and symptoms to look out for include:

  • Diarrhoea
  • Vomiting
  • Lethargy and weakness
  • Lack of coordination
  • Fever
  • Tummy pain

It can take time for bacteria to attack you dog when they suffer with food poisoning and so if they appear sick straight after eating, food poisoning is unlikely to be the cause.  It can take anything from 8-72 hours for food poisoning to become known. If the above symptoms present for a couple of hours or more, you should consult your vet.

Most common toxic foods for dogs

  • Alcohol
  • Avocado
  • Chocolate
  • Grapes and raisins
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Raw / undercooked meat
  • Rhubarb
  • Onion
  • Xylitol – a common sweetener found in peanut butter, sugar-free gum and toothpaste

Other toxic items found around the home

It’s not only certain food items that can be toxic to your dog. There are many nasties that lurk around our homes that can be very harmful to your dogs. Common poisonous materials include pharmaceutical products, slug killer, rodent poison, cleaning products, plants and lawn products. You most probably have several of these items around your home so always make sure they are out of the reach of inquisitive pups. If you suspect your dog has ingested any of these toxins, contact your vet immediately.

We hope this is useful.

Laura, Dolly & Reggie xxx