Are Dental Chews Bad for Dogs? Choose Healthy Alternatives
When it comes to cleaning your dog’s teeth, not many of us have a pooch who is willing to let you in with a toothbrush and dog toothpaste on a regular basis. In order to avoid the stressing out of your dog (and yourself!) many of us buy dental chews as a way of minimising plaque and helping to keep our dog’s breath fresh.
What is in a dental chew?
The chews by some of the leading pet food producers are some of the most popular on the market, but are they actually healthy?
The answer is a resounding NO! They certainly are not.
They contain a whole host of worrying and unnatural ingredients that could cause harm to your beloved best friend.
- Sodium Tripolyphosphate – As well as being one of the ingredients in many dental chews, it is also found in detergents and industrial products. It is not something you would ordinarily feed your dog so why would you feed them it as part of a dental chew? It is known to cause vomiting amongst other things.
- Smoke Flavour – One of the reasons why this is included in many unhealthy dog chews is to make them more palatable and to cover up the taste of all the nasty chemicals. There are serious safety concerns over the use of smoke flavouring and it has been suggested that it can cause cancer.
- Potassium Sorbate – This is another hidden ingredient that is used as a preservative. It is potentially very damaging to your dog. It is known to cause skin, eye and respiratory problems and is another ingredient that is carcinogenic.
- Meat and Animal Derivatives – These can be pretty much any part of an animal including their claws. When derivatives are included as an ingredient in dog food there is no labelling requirement for the manufacturer to include what animal the derivatives have come from. This is particularly worrying if your dog has an allergy to certain meats.
- Iron Oxide – This is usually included on the ingredients label as a ‘mineral supplement’. Iron Oxide can cause skin, eye and lung irritations and again has links to cancer.
- Meat Flavour – This is as it says. Chemically treated. A flavour. No real meat.
Natural alternatives are available!
Not all dental chews contain such dangerous ingredients though. There are alternatives available that do the job just as well, without causing potential damage and illness to your dog.
At Dragonfly, we sell a huge range of treats that will clean your dog’s teeth safely and without any dangerous additives.
· Cow Ears
All of these items are excellent, natural ‘dental sticks’. The gnawing and chewing action they encourage helps loosen plaque and keep teeth clean. All our ingredients are 100% natural. They do not contain any additives, flavourings, wheat or yeast. They all originate from within the EU or the UK.
As well as these chews, you can also add a supplement to your dog’s food too. Our Pearly Whites supplement contains seaweed to help keep their tarter under control and their gums healthy.
Our Little Trainers Remedial Training Treats are also perfect as a natural training treat. They are specially formulated to to promote good oral health and fresh breath. Again a safe, tasty and natural alternative.
If you need further advice on which treats will best suit your dog, please feel free to give us a call or visit us in the shop if you are local.
Laura, Dolly & Reggie xxx